* 215 BC – A temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at Lake Trasimene.
* 1014 – Battle of Clontarf: Brian Boru defeats Viking invaders, but is killed in battle.
* 1016 – Edmund Ironside succeeds his father Æthelred the Unready as king of England,
* 1343 – Estonia: St. George's Night Uprising.
* 1348 – The founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III is announced on St George's Day.
* 1521 – Battle of Villalar: King Charles I of Spain defeats the Comuneros.
* 1635 – The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
* 1660 – Treaty of Oliwa is established between Sweden and Poland.
* 1661 – King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland is crowned in Westminster Abbey.
* 1815 – The Second Serbian Uprising – a second phase of the national revolution of the Serbs against the Ottoman Empire, erupts shortly after the annexation of the country to the Ottoman Empire.
* 1910 – Theodore Roosevelt made his The Man in the Arena speech.
* 1918 – World War I: The British Royal Navy makes a raid in an attempt to neutralise the Belgian port of Bruges-Zeebrugge.
* 1920 – The national council in Turkey denounces the government of Sultan Mehmed VI and announces a temporary constitution.
* 1920 – The Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM) is founded in Ankara.
* 1927 – Turkey becomes the first country to celebrate Children's Day as a national holiday.
* 1932 – The 153-year old De Adriaan Windmill in Haarlem, Netherlands burns down. It is rebuilt and reopens exactly 70 years later.
* 1935 – The Polish Constitution of 1935 is adopted.
* 1940 – The Rhythm Night Club fire at a dance hall in Natchez, Mississippi, kills 198 people.
* 1941 – World War II: The Greek government and King George II evacuate Athens before the invading Wehrmacht.
* 1942 – World War II: Baedeker Blitz – German bombers hit Exeter, Bath and York in retaliation for the British raid on Lübeck.
* 1949 – Chinese Civil War: Establishment of the People's Liberation Army Navy.
* 1951 – American journalist William N. Oatis is arrested for espionage by the Communist government of Czechoslovakia.
* 1955 – The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
* 1961 – Algiers putsch by French generals.
* 1967 – Soviet space program: Soyuz 1 (Russian: Союз 1, Union 1) is a manned spaceflight, Launched into orbit carrying cosmonaut Colonel Vladimir Komarov.
* 1968 – Vietnam War: Student protesters at Columbia University in New York City take over administration buildings and shut down the university.
* 1985 – Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.
* 1990 – Namibia becomes the 160th member of the United Nations and the 50th member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
* 1993 – Eritreans vote overwhelmingly for independence from Ethiopia in a United Nations-monitored referendum.
* 1997 – Omaria massacre in Algeria: 42 villagers are killed.