* 1129 – Formal approval of the Order of the Templar at the Council of Troyes.
* 1301 – Andrew III of Hungary dies, ending the Arpad dynasty in Hungary.
* 1343 – Arnošt of Pardubice became the last bishop of Prague.
* 1514 – Pope Leo X issues a papal bull against slavery.
* 1539 – Spain annexes Cuba.
* 1639 – The "Fundamental Orders", the first written constitution that created a government, is adopted in Connecticut.
* 1724 – King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne.
* 1761 – The Third Battle of Panipat is fought in India between the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marhatas. The Afghan victory changes the course of Indian History.
* 1784 – American Revolutionary War: Ratification Day, United States Congress ratifies Treaty of Paris with Great Britain.
* 1814 – Treaty of Kiel: Frederick VI of Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden in return for Pomerania.
* 1822 – Greek War of Independence: Acrocorinth is captured by Theodoros Kolokotronis and Demetrius Ypsilanti.
* 1858 – Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
* 1907 – An earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
* 1911 – Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
* 1933 – The controversial Bodyline cricket tactics used by Douglas Jardine's England peaks when Australian captain Bill Woodfull was hit in the heart.
* 1938 – Norway claims Queen Maud Land in Antarctica.
* 1943 – World War II: Operation Ke, the successful Japanese operation to evacuate their forces from Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign, begins.
* 1943 – World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill begin the Casablanca Conference to discuss strategy and study the next phase of the war.
* 1943 – World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to travel via airplane while in office when he travels from Miami, Florida to Morocco to meet with Winston Churchill.
* 1950 – The first prototype of the MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
* 1952 – NBC's long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
* 1954 – Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
* 1960 – The Reserve Bank of Australia, the country's central bank and banknote issuing authority, is established.
* 1954 – The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
* 1967 – Counterculture of the 1960s: The Human Be-In, takes place in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, launching the Summer of Love.
* 1969 – An accidental explosion aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) near Hawaii kills 27 people.
* 1972 – Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
* 1973 – Elvis Presley's concert Aloha from Hawaii is broadcast live via satellite, and sets a record as the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history.
* 1975 – Teenage heiress Lesley Whittle is kidnapped by Donald Neilson, aka "the Black Panther".
* 1978 – The English punk rock band Sex Pistols broke up amidst their US tour.
* 1998 – An Afghan cargo plane crashes into a mountain in southwest Pakistan killing more than 50 people.
* 1999 – Toronto, Ontario Mayor Mel Lastman becomes the first mayor in Canada to call in the Army to help with emergency medical evacuations and snow removal after more than one meter of snow paralyzes the city.
* 2000 – A United Nations tribunal sentences five Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
* 2004 – The national flag of The Republic of Georgia, the so-called "five cross flag", is restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
* 2005 – Landing of the Huygens probe on Saturn's moon Titan.
* 2011 – Ben Ali, former Tunisian president, fled the country to Saudi Arabia after popular protests (dubbed as Jasmine Revolution) requesting his departure.
* 2011 – Stampede near Sabarimala – 104 devotees killed and several others injured in a stampede at Uppupara in Idukki district.