* 475 – Basiliscus becomes Byzantine Emperor, with a coronation ceremony in the Hebdomon palace in Constantinople.
* 1528 – Gustav I of Sweden crowned king of Sweden.
* 1539 – Treaty of Toledo signed by King Francis I of France and Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
* 1773 – The first public Colonial American museum opens in Charleston, South Carolina.
* 1777 – Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
* 1808 – The organizational meeting that led to the creation of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh.
* 1848 – The Palermo rising takes place in Sicily against the Bourbon kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
* 1866 – The Royal Aeronautical Society is formed in London.
* 1872 – Yohannes IV is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia in Axum, the first imperial coronation in that city in over 200 years.
* 1875 – Kwang-su becomes emperor of China.
* 1895 – The National Trust is founded in the United Kingdom.
* 1898 – Ito Hirobumi begins his third term as Prime Minister of Japan.
* 1899 – 13 crew members and 5 apprentices are rescued from the stricken schooner Forest Hall by the Lynmouth Lifeboat when it floundered off the coast of Devon, England.
* 1906 – Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman's cabinet (which included amongst its members H. H. Asquith, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill) embarks on sweeping social reforms after a Liberal landslide in the British general election.
* 1908 – A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
* 1911 – The University of the Philippines College of Law is formally established; three future Philippine presidents are among the first enrollees.
* 1915 – The Rocky Mountain National Park is formed by an act of U.S. Congress.
* 1915 – The United States House of Representatives rejects a proposal to give women the right to vote.
* 1918 – Finland's "Mosaic Confessors" law went into effect, making Finnish Jews full citizens.
* 1921 – Acting to restore confidence in baseball after the Black Sox Scandal, Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis is elected as Major League Baseball's first commissioner.
* 1926 – Original Sam 'n' Henry aired on Chicago radio later renamed Amos 'n' Andy in 1928.
* 1932 – Hattie W. Caraway becomes the first woman elected to the United States Senate.
* 1942 – World War II: President Franklin Roosevelt creates the National War Labor Board.
* 1964 – Rebels in Zanzibar begin a revolt known as the Zanzibar Revolution and proclaim a republic.
* 1966 – Lyndon B. Johnson states that the United States should stay in South Vietnam until Communist aggression there is ended.
* 1967 – Dr. James Bedford becomes the first person to be cryonically preserved with intent of future resuscitation.
* 1970 – Biafra capitulates, ending the Nigerian civil war.
* 1971 – The Harrisburg Seven: The Reverend Philip Berrigan and five others are indicted on charges of conspiring to kidnap Henry Kissinger and of plotting to blow up the heating tunnels of federal buildings in Washington, D.C.
* 1976 – The UN Security Council votes 11-1 to allow the Palestine Liberation Organization to participate in a Security Council debate (without voting rights).
* 1986 – Space Shuttle program: Congressman Bill Nelson lifts off from Kennedy Space Center aboard Columbia on mission STS-61C as a Mission Specialist.
* 1991 – Gulf War: An act of the U.S. Congress authorizes the use of military force to drive Iraq out of Kuwait.
* 1998 – Nineteen European nations agree to forbid human cloning.
* 2001 – Downtown Disney opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
* 2004 – The world's largest ocean liner, RMS Queen Mary 2, makes its maiden voyage.
* 2005 – Deep Impact launches from Cape Canaveral on a Delta 2 rocket.
* 2006 – A stampede during the Stoning the Devil ritual on the last day at the Hajj in Mina, Saudi Arabia, kills at least 362 Muslim pilgrims.
* 2006 – The French warship Clemenceau reaches Egypt and is barred access to the Suez Canal. Greenpeace activists board the ship.
* 2007 – Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) reaches perihelion becoming the brightest comet in more than 40 years.
* 2010 – The 2010 Haiti earthquake occurs killing an estimated 316,000 and destroying the majority of the capital Port-au-Prince.